This is a story about a girl I will call Princess.
Princess and I were friends from ages 12 to 33ish when I finally told her to fuck off for good. Here's the things I remember about Princess:
When we were 12, I accidentally knocked her sno-cone on the ground. She loudly berated me in front of all our classmates.
Princess once called her Mom to pick her up from school because it was raining and her hair was getting frizzy.
I wanted a framed picture by Nagel. She got the framed picture by Nagel.
I wanted a pair of Guess flap jeans. She got the pair of Guess flap jeans.
I wanted a VW Jetta when I turned 16. She got the Jetta with a great big red bow on it.
Princess would go after any guy I liked regardless if I was having a relationship with them or not. She always had to make sure they liked her.
When we would go to dinner she would ask me, "Why is everyone looking at me?"
Princess got her PhD in psychology, but then decided she wanted to work in the music business like I did.
After I gave birth to A and had horrible PPD, Princess picked me up. The second I got in the car, I was screaming on top of my lungs, just really freaking out crying. PhD Princess' response was, "Does this mean we aren't going out to dinner?"
At this point, I was calling her on her shit. I was just plain tired of being her friend.
We would still talk after I moved to Oregon but I was no longer interested in hearing about what rock star she was trying to go out with and how much she wanted to be a reality TV casting agent. I had grown up and out of our friendship.
The last straw was when she said she couldn't afford to visit me in Oregon but was going to New York to visit family and "Oh, yeah," a certain Foo Fighter would be there too. I told her to never call me again.
There are many other stories but I actually wanted to get to a point.
I haven't thought about any of this in a long time, but while I was at my Grandma's this past weekend, I was sorting through photos. I came upon a picture of me and Princess while we were in high school and guess what?? I wasn't the ugly, fat girl I thought I was. I was actually really pretty. I was stunned when I realized this. I spent so much time hating who I was and what I looked like and thought I deserved to be treated as Princess had treated me. For a moment, I wondered if I had felt differently about myself growing up, would my life had been any different? I realized though that my experiences have led me to be the person I am now and I wouldn't change a thing......
But just for the record, Princess is still single, supported by her father and living with her cats. Take that!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah for the crying jew!!! I could have told you that you were wonderful, smart and beautiful!!! And a great friend too! Screw princess and her little cats too!!!
ReplyDelete