When I was growing up, the 4th of July was great. I grew up in Pacific Palisades which, at the time, was like a small town where everyone knew each other and did things together. In the morning, my Dad would run the annual 10K. In the afternoon my parents and their friends saved spots on the curb for the parade. I loved the parade. It had all sorts of marching bands from around L.A. and of course, the mayor of the town had his own float. In our town, the mayor was always a celebrity. I remember Ted Knight & Adam West. Wait..those names really age me. Anyway, after the parade, everyone went to Palisades High School to watch the fireworks show. After that, we all went to our house which was at the top of a hill on a cul de sac, and lit our own fireworks. Every year we had a blast. Except when my sister rear-ended a BMW in my Dad's Mercedes....but that's another story.
So one would think that I would love to do these kinds of traditions with Ave. Unfortunately, no. The 4th is a long holiday with too much noise. Some streets are blocked off, people are annoying and it goes on forever, even when the 4th is over. Am I so jaded, that I no longer enjoy these types of things? I feel like I should find joy in watching my son have fun and enjoy the festivities, but I really don't. I find myself bored and want to be in bed.
The same kind of goes for Easter. Easter was my favorite holiday. Now I find it's a pain in the ass to dye eggs. Poor Ave didn't even get to hunt for eggs one year. I guess it's just laziness on my part.
Am I depriving my child of good childhood memories with my selfishness?
At least I still take him trick or treating!
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment